Monday, June 2, 2008

hot weather - Genoa all over again

I'm no friend of the heat. I prefer it cooler. «insert random geek-growing-up-in-basement-joke here». I don't mind the sun at all but what I need is the possibility to escape the heat - by going inside for example or standing in the shadow and letting the cool wind blow in your face.

That's the problem I had during this latest heat-wave here. It reminded me all too well of my time in Genoa, Italy during the summer-season. It's hot - everywhere! Even in the shadows it's too hot to feel good, and the air is hot too... so even if wind is blowing, it's hardly cooling you down. Only escape is getting wet or fleeing into an air conditioned zone - which aren't that common in Germany for private residences... more reason to stay at work! :roll:

We had hot days this spring before, but it always was quite cool and ok as long as you were in the shadow or went inside. Plus, usually no matter how much the sun was shining, cool wind was blowing too. That was great! And during such a time, I don't mind at all sitting outside in the sun - which I actually did back then, surprising for my friends who know me and my "vampire tendencies" :-D



I took this picture on the way too work last week. Quite hot. It sucks when you can't find any way to keep yourself cool during your way to work. Then you arrive at the office all sweaty and hot - especially when you take the bicycle as I always do. I guess I need to store towels and "emergency clothes" in the office, just in case. A shower in the building would be nice too... some do have that, but not the one I work in.

Well, I'm hoping my apartment can fend off the heat during the summer. It's the first hot season I experience in it. So far it's quite ok. Could be cooler but still bearable. That's definitely better than in the apartment I had in Genoa - where you could not escape the heat anywhere! That makes you go nuts! Italy is fine for holiday, when you don't stay long and have a nice, AC'ed place and the chance to head into the water whenever you feel like it. But I wouldn't wanna live there! And thanks to global warming, Germany is slowly getting mediterranean climate too... guess sooner or later I might feel like moving to some place cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment