Monday, June 23, 2008

Finished Ninja Gaiden II


Ok, normally it's not really something that special if I finish a game. I tend to finish most games I get - at least once. But if you actually finish a game like Ninja Gaiden, it's alittle special and you can be proud.

I did finish it at the lower of the 2 difficulty-settings, ok. And I have to admit overally it was quite easy most of the time. Only the one or the other boss-mob gave me troubles sometimes, but most of them were easy. It's a very good game and I enjoyed playing it alot... except for the final boss! Why? Because you had to finish him with the bow! I never liked the bow. I love the game. It's fast, the combos are smooth and you hardly ever feel slow or cornered. Ryu twirls and flies around and you never feel like you can't control where he's headed and what he's doing. Very good responsiveness, high speed, that's how I love games! But when you use the bow, you don't feel fast anymore. You're slow, standing, aiming. A sitting duck, having to wait til your bow is fully charged so you can release one arrow and hopefully hit the right spot in time. It takes away the key element of the playing-style of the game, that's why I never use the bow. I prefer the shuriken since you can just throw those while moving and doing your combos.

And if that wouldn't be annoying enough, the final boss has to be fought a total of 3 times, that right after a previous boss-mob and even adding a final boss mob to the very end for a whopping chain of 5 boss-fights, all without savepoint or shop to restock. Looking back afterwards, it wasn't too hard to do either - since the mobs before and after the annoying fights are actually doable with melee-action, but the arrow-part is very annoying because there's alot of luck involved and there's a high learning-curve involved - at least there was for me, who never had to rely on the bow much before that.

But I'm proud I finished the game, and it was alot of fun indeed! So much I'll surely go for the higher difficulty setting soon... very much doable, just some boss mobs I'm not looking forward to. But I can live with a game that' 95% fun and 5% annoying - I just wished they wouldn't have put the most annoying part at the very end.

image taken from and © www.ign.com

No comments:

Post a Comment