Saturday, June 21, 2008

Being nice = problematic?

I read an article on Spiegel Online yesterday: http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,560519,00.html.

Scientists analyzed the changes we have in partner-searches. The main statement was "the wild ones get the best girls". Or something like that. They found it actually true what many men already know: machos, egoists and guys who manipulate people and treat women bad actually get women more easily. They found that such dominant, strong behavior actually triggers certain female key-stimuli that appeal to their lower emotional levels - which might make for a great short-term relationship, but are the complete wrong indicators to determine a partner for a longer relationship or even marriage.

He thought about another thing: that it probably had its advantages that in the past when parents arranged marriages. They have the "big picture" in their minds. They want their children to be safe and in good hands. They don't have to be in love head over heels right away, they just have to like each other and love will come later.

So today many relationships fail these days, a lot of marriages fail after a year or two and the numbers have been going up drastically since the 68ies. And the reason for it could be those instinctive indicators that rely on short-lived characteristics like physical attraction and dominance rather than on those actually important to have a long-term relationship. They talked about how often the most successful relationships / the longest marriages are those based on a more rational decision to stay together rather than something hot-headed. The ones not made by the heart or the pants alone but rather by alot of brain. And then I had to think of my grandparents and about when my grandfather told me how they got together: They were dating and one day, my grandmother got pregnant. They liked each other and they said "ok, then let's get married" - that's actually how my grandfather told us the story. And they ended up being happily married for over 50 years. Could you believe something like that happening in our time? With all the freedom we have? I doubt many women in our society would simply go for such a step but rather have an abortion or raise the kid by themselves. Back then, those possibilities did not exist or weren't that easily available. And values like catholic religious views were very important as well. It were different times back then, and I'm sure there are bad examples for the drawbacks of those times too, but in this particular case, it gave my grandparents a happy life together, and made my grandma give birth to my mother... I might not be here if times would've been different.

I don't know about all that. I don't like it when ppl tell other ppl how to live their lives. And I always believed in true love. I still do. So I think it's important everyone is free to chose their partner and I think it's important that passion and attraction can play a role. I just thought about myself and how it surely is harder for me with that. I'm not that outgoing, I'm not the most attractive guy and surely not egoistic. I'm a nice guy, I simply am. I'm the type of guy parents would like to meet, but those aren't necessarily the types that women dig.

Still, I won't change. I'll simply be the nice, sweet, geeky me. And with alittle luck, perhaps I'll find a girl one day who appreciates that and wants to be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment