Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Force is unleashed!

Finally the time is here: the force unleashed has been released! And to my surprise the german version also included the original English version. The voice-acting is great just like the video sequences. Overall, the presentation is very good - even though we've seen more detailed character models in games like Soulcalibur 4 or Mass Effect. Nevertheless, it looks great.
First off, I wanna say I really enjoyed playing the game. Ok, it's rather short. I finished the game in like 8 hours. But I was very entertained and I even didn't mind restarting again and finishing it at a higher difficulty setting. Ok, I had to restart, but I'll come to that soon.

The game has many good features. The graphics are great just like the sound. The levels are fun too most of the time and using the force gets to be alot of fun. The story is interesting aswell, tying together the end of Episode 3 and the beginning of Episode 4. The gameplay is fun and quite intuitive. The camera sucks at times but I'm used to worse and it doesnt bother me much. Most of the time it's fine once you got used to it.

There are some issues with this game that annoyed me:

glitches (or even bugs):
  • if you change your lightsaber and your outfit at the same time, one of the changes won't get activated.
  • when doing sith lightsaber combos, the glow of the lightsaber gets messed up until you swing it again. This was in the demo already and I'm alittle disappointed it didn't get fixed.
  • holocrons might be missing for some reason. That actually happened to me and I ended up having to restart the game again since I wanted the achievement for collecting all holocrons. My friend has the PS3 version and he experienced another known bug that forced him to restart aswell. He also had the game crash once and so did I. I would expect alittle more quality from a final release version.

Gameplay issues:
  • the apprentice might be strong, but if he's knocked down he tends to lay around way too long. So long that you usually get hit one or two more times before you get back up and can control yourself again. Sone enemies even juggle you during that downtime. After some playtime you know how to use the force to stabilize yourself when hit, but it's still quite annoying.
  • targetting with force powers sometimes seems harder than it should be. Especially the force lift sometimes seems to target everything but the one piece of junk you actually wanted to grab. This couldve been implemented alittle smarter I think.

Nevertheless, it's a great game and fun to play. I finished it twice now and replayed many levels multiple times and it never got boring so far. I was actually surprised how well it all went when I tried the 3rd difficulty setting. I could really see that I did improve ever since finishing it the first time. It gets more tactical and you have to use your surrounding to get things done without too much trouble. But still, there's alot of freedom on how to do things and beat enemies. That alone makes you feel quite free. And it has replay-value for me, since it's simply fun running through some levels and - probably after lowering the difficulty-setting a bit - beating the shit out of the enemies with the force...


No comments:

Post a Comment