Thursday, December 18, 2008

Quickcam STX with Skype on Ubuntu 8.10

And another thing that needed some fiddling around until it actually worked: My Logitech Quickcam STX refused to work proberly with Skype on my new Ubuntu 8.10 installation.

The solution ended up being rather trivial. Turned out the problem was that the new Ubuntu supports V4L2. Though the old V4L should still work, I guess there were compatibility-problems, especially with programs written purely for V4L. Thankfully, there's a compatibility-library that you just need to preload before starting Skype:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

That was enough to get the webcam working. The driver "gspca_zc3xx" used by the system was correct after all. I could get a working, moving test-video within the skype-preferences. I will try it out with a real chat soon and see how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment