Wednesday, July 16, 2008

iPhone - iHadBadLuck

Ok, after all the hype about the new iPhone 3G coming out, I gave in to the temptation last weekend and got one of the new iPhones myself. Even the 16G version. Well, the choice was easy since it was the very last one they had in the store at the time I got there. Was a quite impulsive decision from my side, but after chatting with a friend who got the 8G version and geeking out about it, I wanted one too.



First Impression

I have to say I'm impressed by the device. It's definitely well-done, looks stylish and has a usability that I've never seen before! The new GPS and UMTS support surely is a plus, and with the right mobile contract, I can actually get online and check e-mail, chat and surf the web pretty much everywhere I am... and with the iPhone, surfing on a mobile phone is actually working and fun!

The iPod itself is nice too. I don't wanna go too much into the features and what I thought of them, let me just say that I was very happy and pleased with the device and it's features. I'm having my difficulties trying to get myself acquainted to the iTunes-Software - that you sadly are forced to use if you wanna do anything with your iPhone. But I can live with that.


First Problem

It all could've been perfect. I could still sit here writing this happily with my iPhone next to me, listening to music. But sadly, I had back luck: On the same day I got the iPhone, it started showing bright spots/areas on the left side of the display. Wasn't that noticeable in the beginning but it kept getting worse - up to a point where it really annoyed me. So I returned the faulty device today. So until the device is sent back to Apple and I get a replacement from them next week, I will have to live without an iPhone - kinda disappointing. The fact that according to the T-Mobile employee, I am the very first customer they know with this specific problem doesn't really cheer me up either. At least they were really nice in the store and took the device back without any discussion and were really helpful. I just hope they will work as reliable getting my replacement - and that that one will be flawless... at least for the upcoming 2 years that I have warranty for it.

I don't regret my decision to get the new iPhone at all. I really like it and I think it has the potential to become a steady "companion" that I will always carry with me, and I will finally have everything I need with me: cellphone, music-player, web-browser, e-mail client, IM and even games and a few other gimmicks.

So even though I categorized this under "rants", I am not in a bad, "ranting" mood. I'm looking forward to getting a perfectly working device very soon. If I won't, THEN you will definitely read the one or the other rant here.

No comments:

Post a Comment