Monday, May 26, 2008

Amazon UK cheaper than DE?

I ordered some games from Amazon today. The strange thing is: I ordered them from the UK. Why? 3 reasons:

  1. Not all games were available in Germany, either because they simply take longer to be released (localisation?) or they are not even rated yet and might be forbidden to be sold here in Germany. I'm not gonna go into details about why - I have my own opinion about this whole thing but I would just end up ranting about it.

  2. Altogether, the whole thing was cheaper when ordering from the UK. They usually have a 10% off the price when you pre-order games, and almost all of them were pre-orders. So even including shipping and handling and tax, The UK order was like 10 Euro cheaper than if I had ordered the same games from Amazon Germany.

  3. I prefer original language versions of games normally. Usually that means having an english version of a game. Most games are localized for the german market. That wouldn't be a bad thing, but sometimes the original language is not included anymore. And german translations aren't always the best, especially when voice-acting is involved. The problem is that it's often unclear how the german version will be and if the game will still feature the original language support until the game is actually released. And I don't like bad surprises like that.


So when I think about it, I'm usually better off ordering from the UK anyway. Just surprised me today that the whole thing actually is cheaper than I thought. But ohwell why not? We live in a globalized world, right? Well, might aswell go with the advantages of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment