Thursday, February 4, 2010

Firefox 64-bit - no Flash? no problem!

Recently I tried out the 64-bit version of Firefox 3.6 ("Namoroka"). I have to say it does feel alittle smoother and faster - that could be just a subjective impression of course, though results of performance-tests online seem to agree with me.

What caught me by surprise was that there's no 64-bit version of the Flash-plugin for Windows available from Macromedia.

So I've been using Namoroka 64-bit for a while now and I have to say that I actually like surfing without Flash. You don't even need an ad-blocker anymore for most websites to look so much cleaner... no more full-screen ads as backgrounds, no more animated logos that play weird sounds or mini-games inviting you to beer-drinking contests.

I realized most of the things I look up online are usually plain infos, and those you can easily get across with just text and static pictures. I still have a 32-bit browser installed in case I do need to see a flash-video of some sort, but chances are high that with the release of direct video-embedding in HTML5, those Flash-videos/Flash-video-players will die out sooner or later... and I won't miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment