Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I simply want the full gaming-experience

Christmas is getting closer and this is the time of the year where lots of new, great games are released or at least announced. And everytime, I happen to run into the same problems when I'm thinking about getting those games... because I want them as "original" as possible.

1. original language

To be honest, I hate dubbed versions of anything, no matter if movies, tv-series or games. I always prefer the original, prefer to see the piece of work as intended by its creator(s). And that is especially true for computer-games, where the quality of the german translations can vary immensely - more than when it comes to movies or tv-series. But even if the german version is really well done, some things simply get lost, may it be word-plays that only work in the original language or simply the original voice-acting, which is usually done with a bigger budget and thus more professionally.

2. original content

But I'm not satisfied with just the original language. I want the original content too. And that includes all the violence, gore, sex or whatever else "bad" the creators might've come up with. I don't want a castrated version of a game where ppl don't bleed, civilians can't be shot or complete enemy armies consist of "robots" instead of humans and bleed "black motor-oil" instead of red blood. If I buy a certain type of game, I want to see chopped-off limbs and puddles of blood. While of course those things are not neccessary and I am certainly not craving for them, the creators of games put those in there for a reason, as part of the whole experience.

But enough of that - I could rant on about this way longer, but that would be material for another post. Instead let's head back to the topic of this one...

So what I really want to know before buying a game is 3 things:
  1. Will the version released in germany feature the original-language?
  2. Will the version released in germany be cut/cencored/modified in any way?
  3. Will an import version be region-locked?
Those things are important, because thanks to the EU, I'm free to import games in the version I want to have from pretty much anywhere in the world - and in case of the UK, it's often even cheaper than buying them here instead. The problem is: It's very hard to get this information before the game is actually released and the first user-experiences start spreading through the net. Before that, it's usually just rumors that you hear...

I'm at a point right now where I really find it way easier to simply not bother anymore and just order my stuff via Amazon UK. I don't mind a perhaps missing german translation at all and I can be very sure that the game is get is uncut - and that it won't suddenly be unavailable on the market anymore because it got banned.

That's all I want... if I pay a lot of money for a game, I want the full gaming-experience out of it. And to be honest, with Germany's addiction to translate everything and to censor/ban/cut games - even 18+-ones -, it's really not fun anymore to buy games here. You sometimes do feel like a criminal if you're a gamer like me...

1 comment:

  1. Talk about how long the single-player game experience is supposed to last or what your thoughts are at this point.

    ReplyDelete