Monday, November 23, 2009

Bayonetta on PS3 (JP)

I've been waiting for this game ever since I've seen footage of it. And no, actually not because of the most obvious reason. Ok, a sexy witch who wears her hair as clothing and gets rid of it when her hair is needed for more devastating finisher-moves is surely not on the downside - but I got it because it seemed to be the kind of game I like. Right there with DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden.

What can I say about the game? First off: If you liked DMC4, you'll like this one too. It's fast, I mean really fast! It's crazy and all characters are super-cool (though beating Dante in coolness is another thing). The story is insane and makes no real sense (at least as far as I've played) and it's violent and bloody but kinda ok since it's so over-the-top you can't possibly take it serious. And it's hard! Oh yes, it is!

so far so great...

But there's one downside to my purchase that bothers me a little:

I had to import the PS3 version of the game from Japan - since this was my only option as a European who didn't want to wait til January to get the local release. I did so after finding out that the Japanese PS3-version will be featuring English subtitles (and as it turns out, language as well).

The game looks nice, I can't complain. It delivers the action fast and smooth no matter how much is going on, but there are a few things I did notice negatively:

  • washy textures during cut-scenes

  • screen-tearing here and there.

  • long load-times

After some researching online, I found out that the game was originally created for the 360 by Platinum Games but the port to the PS3 was done by Sega. And it seems like they didn't do their very best job. And it annoys me to know that I might have an inferior version. It's simply how I am, I want the best-possible experience I can get. Above all, my preferred console is still the 360 to be honest - mainly because I think the controllers are simply better. And now I get to know that the issues I have witnessed myself while playing the game seem to be mainly a problem of the PS3-port. Now I'm wondering I should perhaps have waited til January after all.

I can easily live with the slight technical drawbacks - the game is that good. But one thing I simply don't get: Why on earth didn't they add an option to allow installation of the game on the PS3's hard-drive? It's a no-brainer: It's the cheapest, easiest way to speed up the loading-times of the game with little to no effort. Lots of PS3-games actually need to be at least partially installed to the hard-drive to work at all. So why not add that option for Bayonetta, which clearly could use an improvement in that field? I can't believe no one during the testing-stage didn't notice that.

Don't get me wrong, the game is great! If you're into these kinds of games, you'll love it! It certainly delivers, but I wish some of the things mentioned above would've been addressed before releasing it for the PS3. So no, I don't regret getting the game, but if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure if I wouldn't have waited alittle longer for the 360 europe-release...


Not to forget though: People did contact Sega about those issues - especially the long loading-times - and it seems that Sega is at least considering releasing a patch to address those. Let's hope they will, since it will simply make a great game even more enjoyable. It doesn't feel fitting that the game itself feels very fast but everything around it rather slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment