Thursday, January 8, 2009

ghosting on Samsung TV over HDMI

Just as I wrote the article about everything working so well with my new Bluray-capable laptop and my Samsung TV, I actually stumbled over a problem that I didn't notice much at first or didn't investigate:

When watching movie-material over HDMI, I sometimes have "ghosting" issues. It only seems to happen when I use HDMI, and is most noticable when playing video-files with alot of dark areas. I'm not sure what the reason for it is or what component is responsible, but I will keep investigating.

It could be a number of things: the TV itself, maybe the HDMI-cables, the A/V receiver, the laptop's graphics card, etc.

The same videofiles play fine on the internal laptop-display and on an external TFT monitor hooked up over HDMI->DVI. So I kinda doubt it's the player software itself, probably not the gfx driver either - unless it has special options / handling of HDMI-signals. That could be the case of course, considering HDCP and all.

Right now my guess is that it's the TV though. Probably not even a fault or error, but rather simple a setting-issue or a slight incompatibility with the HDMI-source. I'm still hoping that I can solve it by switching off all the "image-enhancement" options of the TV. I tried a few of those already, without any success though.

Another reason might be the HDMI-connection. I don't know if cable quality has an effect or not, but I will try using a different HDMI-cable and omitting my A/V receiver and connect the laptop with the TV directly. At least it will give me an idea where the problem might be.

Another cause could be frequency/synching issues. I was happy to see that I could set 1080p/24 as display mode and it even worked on my TV, but maybe that's a problem nevertheless. BUT: I already tried other 1080p outputs, both 60hz and 50hz, with no noticable difference.

Ohwell, what can I say... "nice new digital world!"? or perhaps my usual complain: "Why can't things simply work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment