Wednesday, June 4, 2008

God of War - Chains of Olympus

I don't own any Sony-console. My first console I bought was a PSX, but I boycotted them ever since then for different reasons. I do own a PSP though - the old variant, not the "slim". It's a niftily little gaming-machine for old-school players and geeks, without stylus and touch-screen but with full-fledged WPA-enabled Wifi access and USB mass-storage support.

I got "God of War - Chains of Olympus" for the PSP not long ago. There are only a few Sony-console exclusive games that I actually missed so far, and the 2 God of War games certainly were amongst them. The happier I was when the PSP-game was announced and I've been looking forward to the game ever since then. Now it's here and I have to say: It's really great! Very impressive what they got out of the good old PSP-hardware! The game itself has the Kratos-typical, involving and impressive storyline which is told by beautiful video and realtime-3D sequences. The sound is amazing and very fitting. All in all, this game pretty much looks like its predecessors on the big consoles... I don't have a PSP slim so I can't observe the gfx on the big screen via TV-out, but I doubt it'll look that much worse than the PS2-games.

The game is a lot fun so far. I didn't finish it yet but since I have all my stats and my items maxed out, I doubt it'll be that much longer til I see the credits rolling. I did read reviews and the only thing most of them saw as drawback was the short playtime. And if I'm done with the story soon, then I have to agree with that. I only started playing the game on Friday and spent a couple of sessions during the weekend... so all in all if I finish it during my next session, I think that's a little short indeed. Ok, given I never played any of the other games much but I do have a lot of experience with those kinds of games - which are one of my favorite kind of games - so maybe I simply was a little fast. The game itself didn't appear hard at all so far, only 1 or 2 slightly annoying situations that were very doable once you figured out the right tactics.

But to sum it up: Great game! Even if it should be done in a few hours of playtime, you definitely are very very entertained during those hours! And I rather have a shorter game that rocks 100% of the time than a long, boring game!


picture taken from and probably © Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment